AmazonSmile — A New Way to Give
Support the Friends through AmazonSmile. Instead of going to the Amazon site directly, go to smile.amazon.com and click on “Friends of the Fanwood Memorial Library Inc.” Amazon will then donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible items to the Friends.
Who We Are & What We Do
The Friends is a group of volunteers who help the town library be all that it can be. Established in 1986, we have become a 501(c)3 group that raises money for extras beyond the library’s annual budget — services, special items and programs — while promoting the joy of reading and use of other media. A board (see below) leads our membership of nearly 175 single and family members.
We are proud of:
- Funding all programs for children and adults
- Co-sponsoring the Museum Pass program with the Scotch Plains Library Friends
- Co-hosting many of the adult programs
- Contributing to the recent renovation of the children’s room
- Raising nearly $10,000 at our annual book sale
- Providing funds for computers, projectors, and similar technology
Join us! Adults and teens are welcome! We begin our annual membership year every spring when we mail our newsletter with a form attached to all residents and members. But feel free to join anytime. Many people join because they are library lovers or users and appreciate how much they get for their tax dollar.
Join online or pick up a form from the library.
Your Friends membership card entitles you to first pick at our annual book sale, 5 free DVD rentals, email updates (including what’s happening at area museums), and discounts at these local businesses:
- Fanwood Bagel
- Norman’s Hallmark
- Scotchwood Florist
- Double Dipper Cafe
- Crown Jewelers
- Oh’ Brian’s Pourhouse
- The Town Book Store in Westfield
When you stop in at a shop, present your membership card. And please thank the staff for their generous support.
Become a Sponsor for $25, and you get a stainless steel Friends logo water bottle and all member benefits above. A contribution of $50 or more will add your name to our OVER-THE-TOP list and qualify you to receive the water bottle or a Friends logo umbrella, and all member benefits above. Families may join for $20 and individuals for $15.
Click here to join the Friends.(Don’t forget to send in your check)
Contributions are tax deductible, and please remember us if your company participates in a Matching Gifts Program.
Make your check payable to “Friends of the Fanwood Memorial Library,”
and drop it off at the Library or mail it to:
Fanwood Memorial Library
5 Forest Road
Fanwood, NJ, 07023
- Special Events
- Book Sale
All Friends meetings take place at the library. You do not have to be a member to attend. A special annual membership meeting is coming up on Sunday, June 8, at 2:00 pm. It will be a Live at Your Library event — a family-friendly out-on-the-lawn concert with Reckon So (Dan Weiss & Mary Olive Smith). Bring a blanket and a chair, a picnic lunch, your kids, your neighbors and join us for a big afternoon of fun. Special kids set will be followed by more music.
Our 28th Annual 2014 Book Sale
Everyone looks forward to this annual fall event held at Forest Road Park. Thanks to Fanwood Borough and the Senior Citizens, we can set up and sell during the last weeks of September. Save your books for our event. A special Friends night offers first dibs for members!
The FRIENDS of the Fanwood Memorial Library are looking for gently used books, CDs, and DVDs for their fall book sale. Proceeds from the sale pay for all library programs and for equipment and furniture outside the library budget. For the first time this year, the FRIENDS will also be advocating to update the building and services.
Bring your donations to Forest Road Park:
- Friday, September 12 – 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Saturday, September 13 – 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Monday, September 15 – 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Tuesday, September 16 – 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm (late night for those who work 9-5 to volunteer their time or their books!)
- Wednesday, September 17 – 9:00 am to 2:00 pm
- Thursday, September 18 – 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm is Preview Night for Fanwood and Scotch Plains FRIENDS
- Friday, September 19 – 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Saturday, September 20 – 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Sunday, September 21- 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm the sale wraps up with BAG DAY!
For book sale inquiries May to September, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friends Board 2014-2015
The board does most of the organization’s work. But we are assisted by some other great volunteers, most of whom help out at the book sale.
- President – Carol Campell
- Vice President – (vacant)
- Secretary – (vacant)
- Treasurer – David Richard
- Member at large – Joan Dickason
- Membership – Matilda Francis
- Publicity – Katherine Balch, Annette Madarasz
- Book Sale – Thena Rosahl
- Museum Pass Program – Jane Van Haasteren