The Fanwood Memorial Library believes all customers have the right to use Library facilities, services and materials safely and freely, in a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere. With these rights come responsibility for actions and conduct that respects the rights of other Library customers and staff members. Customers are expected to use the Library for its intended purposes and misconduct will not be allowed in the Library.
Customers who fail to recognize these rights may be asked to leave the premises. It is the Director or the senior staff member on duty who will decide on whether any patron will be asked to leave. In extreme circumstances, the Fanwood Police will be called.
1. The Library is not responsible for personal property left unattended. Personal items left by patrons who are not present on Library property are subject to disposal. (see 2.9)
2. All persons are welcome in the Library. Children under the age of ten must be under the direct supervision of a responsible adult or caregiver, over the age of thirteen, at at all times. This caregiver is responsible for the children’s behavior while they are in the building or on the library grounds. (see 2.11 and 2.12)
3. Please respect the rights of others to quietly study, read or work without interference. Please maintain low noise levels. Any listening devices should not be audible to anyone but the user.
4. Please turn all cell phones and/or beepers off or silence all ringtones and alarms when inside the Library building. If you wish to make or take a call, we ask that you step outside the building. Library telephones are for staff use only.
5. While welcoming the use of the Library and its property, we request that all furniture be used as intended, rather than as a lounging area. Sleeping is not allowed.
6. For safety and health reasons, shoes must be worn by all.
7. Appropriate street clothing is required.
8. Public restrooms are not appropriate locations for shaving, bathing, laundry or gathering spots.
9. Standards of personal hygiene are required to conform to community standards for public places. Persons whose bodily hygiene causes others to complain may be asked to leave.
10. Only assistive animals are permitted within the building.
11. Bicycling, skateboarding and roller-skating on Library property is a safety hazard to other patrons. Skateboards and roller blades must be carried while on Library property.
12. Patrons may be asked to leave the Library for abusive, threatening or obscene language or behavior. Weapons, alcohol, illegal substances and tobacco use are also prohibited.
13. Patrons are not allowed to solicit, petition, canvas or sell anywhere on Library property. (see 2.5.4)
14. Food and drink are not allowed on the Main Floor of the Library or the Main Children’s area.
15. Damage or destruction of Library property is a crime and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Board of Trustees
Approved: June 8, 2009
Revised: February 8, 2016