GENERAL STATEMENT ON SHARED POLICIES|
The Fanwood Memorial Library and the Scotch Plains Public Library have entered into a shared, cooperative partnership to deliver the highest quality, cost-effective library services to both communities. The libraries agree to create and enact uniform policies and procedures whenever possible.
- The Fanwood Memorial Library and Scotch Plains Public Library have agreed to share both a title and patron database in order to most effectively serve both communities.
- Both libraries will retain autonomy in purchase selection and collection maintenance.
- Both libraries will consider shared needs when making decisions on unique purchases and removal of items from the collection.
- Both libraries will endeavor to explore shared collection development in a variety of topics and subject areas.
- Both libraries will strive to complement rather than duplicate each otherís collection, thereby providing patrons with a broad and current selection of materials.
The mission of the Fanwood Memorial Library is to add value to the community by providing citizens of all ages with Library services of high professional quality; to meet their evolving and on-going needs for educational, cultural, and recreational information; to promote literacy and lifelong learning; and to foster a love of reading.
The mission of the Scotch Plains Public Library is to welcome and support our entire community with resources and services that enhance lifelong learning.
- To guide the libraries in selecting and maintaining a balanced and broad collection in a variety of formats
- To provide useful, current information sources that reflect a wide range of interests, opinions, and viewpoints
- To complement rather than duplicate the collections of the local school district
- To follow a user-centered philosophy for the communities
- To assist in determining budget allocation for acquired material
- To ensure that the collections reflect the priorities of the librariesí long range plans
- To defend freedom of information and to provide on equal terms, free, open and equal access and service to all individuals and groups
- The Fanwood Memorial Library and Scotch Plains Public Library endorse the American Library Associationís Bill of Rights, The Freedom to Read and The Freedom to View Statements.
Board of Trustees
Approved: June 8, 2009
Revised: February 8, 2016