The Library premises are available for the use of members of the public to meet their needs in accessing information, and for the use and enjoyment of library materials, programs and equipment. As part of its educational mission, the library permits tutoring on the premises in accordance with this policy.|
The Library does not sponsor, recommend, or assume liability or responsibility for the work and/or activities of tutors who use library space. All arrangements must be made between the tutor, student, and parents.
Tutors are asked to observe the following guidelines when tutoring in the library.
1. Tutoring activities are to be confined to staffed areas of the library.
2. Given the space constraints of the library, programs are, on occasion, held on the main level during library hours. Such programming, on behalf of the public, will take precedence over tutoring activities which must be suspended for the duration of the program or continue in an unobtrusive manner in an area not being used for the program.
3. Tutoring sessions must end 10 minutes prior to closing time.
4. Tables and chairs are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Furniture may not be moved and tables cannot be reserved for tutoring.
5. The Library reserves the right to assign tutoring locations or relocate tutors in the building.
6. Library staff cannot watch personal belongings, including coats, briefcases, handbags, laptop computers, calculators, etc.
7. Tutors and their students, as with any library users, must conform to the library's General Conduct Policy (see Library Operations, Subject: 2.5)
8. Access to the public computers for tutors and their students will be on the same basis as any library patron and must conform to the library's Public Computer Guidelines (see Library Operations, Subject: 2.8)
9. Tutors are responsible for the behavior of the students being tutored during the tutoring session.
10. Library staff is happy to assist tutor teams, just as they assist any patron of the library. However, the library staff must be available to all people who come into the Library for help.
11. Tutors are responsible for establishing communications protocols for their students and the student's parents. Library staff will not relay messages to tutors or students.
12. Tutors must provide their own supplies, including paper, pens, hole punchers, staplers, White-out, etc. The public photocopier is available if copies are needed (10¢ per page). Faxing service is available at the regular public rates.
13. Library phones are not available for use for incoming our outgoing calls. Cellular phones must be set to silent / vibrate while in the library and use of the phone is limited to the vestibule area or outside of the building.
Board of Trustees
Approved: October 15, 2012
Revised: February 8, 2016